White Slough Water Pollution Control Facility (White Slough)
Since 1923, the City of Lodi has been providing wastewater collection and treatment services to the community. The cornerstone of the City’s program, the White Slough Water Pollution Control Facility (White Slough) was originally constructed in 1966. This facility replaced one of the oldest secondary treatment facilities in the Western United States. White Slough provides the City of Lodi with a means to achieve water quality standards required for the protection of the environmentally sensitive Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
Through the years, White Slough has been expanded and improved to meet the increasingly stringent environmental protection standards in an economically sound manner. The most recent project, completed in 2005, has modified the treatment process to include tertiary filtration and ultraviolet light disinfection, which replaces chlorine gas. Ultraviolet disinfection is safer for the environment and City staff working at the facility.
Recycling & Reuse
Adjacent to this facility, the City owns in excess of 1,000 acres of land and leases over 900 acres to local farmers for the cultivation and harvesting of feed and fodder crops not intended for human consumption. The facility has the flexibility to irrigate with domestic flow and cannery process water. In recent years, the City has also supplied recycled water to produce steam for a 49-megawatt power generator, and to replenish mosquito fish-rearing ponds. If a process upset should occur, the domestic flow can be stored in holding ponds and further treated before discharging water to the Delta.
The City utilizes a process called anaerobic digestion to convert the solids removed from the wastewater into a useful byproduct known as biosolids. This material meets federal regulations for safe use