Lodi Transit Station History
- July 17, 1869
Railroad Reservation, between tracks and Sacramento Street and between Walnut to Locust was established at the same time that the Plat for the Town of Mokelumne (now Lodi) was surveyed. Railroad service was needed for agricultural purposes.
Legislature officially changes town’s name from Mokelumne (so it wouldn’t be confused with Mokelumne City and Mokelumne Hill) to Lodi.
Original Passenger Depot located on the site of existing Lodi Station. The town developed around the railroad reservation.
Plans for new Depot burned in San Francisco fire. Southern Pacific had to do emergency work so the project was delayed a year. Lodi was the Tokay grape capital of the world. Construction on new freight and passenger depots begin.
- December 6, 1906
City of Lodi is incorporated
- June 22, 1907
The new Southern Pacific Passenger Depot opens north of Pine Street. The first true Southern Pacific Colonnade Style Depot was built in Redwood City in 1902. A total of eighteen of these were built.
Lodi Arch completed. Lodi Arch linked the two depots. It is the oldest standing welcome arch in the U.S
Railroad stations in Central Valley are studied. Strong local interest in upgrading the Southern Pacifc Depot. Needed to move Depot to its new site in order to accommodate an 800’ platform for Amtrak, and to avoid blocking Pine Street. Structural study done to see if Depot could be moved. It was determined that it could be done.
- October 21, 1999
Lodi Station reopens at 24 South Sacramento Street
Downtown Lodi Transit Station Parking Structure opens with three floors and 330 parking spaces